Academic Essay Writing
Lets Break up an Essay!
An academic essay consists of :
- Main Body
Writing your Introduction
This has 3 stages which collectively set the tone of your essay.
ORIENTATION TO THE TOPIC
- This is where you create the reader’s interest in your topic.
A BRIEF DEVELOPMENT OF THE TOPIC
This may include all or some of the following:
- a definition
- the importance of the topic
- explanation of main theories
- references to research findings
- a thesis statement
A STATEMENT OF SCOPE AND PLAN
- This is where you tell the reader the main points you will be raising and the order of discussion of these points.
- The order of discussion of your main points should be determined by the emphasis you wish to place on them [main points]
WHAT IS A THESIS STATEMENT
A thesis statement is a statement of opinion which shows the specific position that you are taking for the essay, and what you need to defend throughout the essay with evidences. It is basically your stand point.
Main Body of the Essay
This is where you discuss the main points mentioned in your introduction in the same order given in the introduction.
- Ensure that each paragraph is ONE IDEA ONLY!
- Ensure a flow of ideas as you progress in the essay.
- Give evidences and references in each paragraph.
- Have at least 4-5 paragraphs on your academic essay as the main body (depending on requirements of the assignment)
- Before you begin your essay, brainstorm and jot down at least 4 main ideas you wish to discuss around your topic
The conclusion summarises the main points of your argument by stating how the essay has proven that Serevi as the local idol is just as big as Serevi the international rugby star. You can also re-emphasize your thesis statement here.
What not to do in a conclusion:
- DON’T include new information.
- DON’T include a minor point.
- DON’T end with a long quotation.
- DON’T repeat your introduction.
- DON’T make sweeping statements your evidence cannot support
- When you write your bibliography, be sure to check what referencing style your specific assignment requires.
- Also, remember that you are required to do both intext referencing as well as the Reference/Bibliography section at the end.
- Remember in text will only include Authors name and Publication year, while the
- Bibliography will include the full details of that reference.
Examples of how to Cite and do Reference
Kumar. M (2022), mentioned that the role of English…
- This is within your paragraphs
Kumar. M (2022), How to Write an Academic Essay, Department of English Sciences, Suva, Fiji, pg 19-22. (Book Source)
- This will appear in your Bibliography